Sunday, February 20, 2011

'Gram of the Week (1/3/11-1/9/11)

Nice way to start off the New Year. I remembered telling someone once that this job affords me an opportunity to glimpse into the worlds of many different cultures that exist in the Metro New York area, that outsiders rarely get to see. One such "world" is the Hasidic community; a strictly orthodox Jewish sect that live in the environs of various Brooklyn neighborhoods ( Williamsburg, Crown Heights, Borough Park, Flatbush, etc), as well as certain areas of Rockland County ( Monsey).

Over the years, I have developed a good reputation with this community, since I now know, understand, and respect their specific needs: only males can sing, you can never touch the women, the men and women sit separated by a partition, etc)

This particular delivery took me three hours northwest to the foot of the Catskills, to the Lake House Hotel, where Tatty and Mammy Jackobwitz of Williamsburg, had gathered their large kinderlekh to ring in the New Year.

Normally, that is beyond my delivery area, but one of their children is a good customer of mine; using me frequently for Birthdays and Sheva Brochos ( the weeklong celebrations after a wedding). Timing is everything. It was a Sunday evening, usually not a busy time, so I schlepped the three hours up to the Catskills to thank Tatty and Mammy for throwing this big bash, mentioning all the things for which the children are grateful.

This group, more than any other, tend to always order a singing clown. That requires a bit of time and make-up application. So there I was, in the Men's room of the Lake House Hotel, which does not possess a mirror! The woman who ordered the telegram, told me just to go into the Women's room if I needed to use a mirror.

Right! Just what the orthodox community needs; having one of the unprepared female guests, walk into the Ladies Room to use the facilities, only to find some goyim ( non-Jewish person) in there applying make-up. My whole life flashed before me: "But officer, I had to put my make-up on!"

I decided to tough it out and used the reflection off of the paper towel dispenser in the Men's Room.

The delivery went very well. I guess the make-up looked OK (I had no way of knowing!). Before heading back home, I had to take the make-up off (which is a heckuva lot easier than putting on!). Like the Pied Piper of Hamlin, all the grandkids ( approx 12 of them) followed me right into the Men's Room to watch me; boys AND girls! AND THEY WOULDN'T LEAVE! And I had to use the bathroom, but they didn't care. They just laughed and hooped and hollered.

I guess one of the adults heard the commotion, because once he stuck his head in the bathroom door and yelled out something in Yiddish, they scattered, allowing me to complete my business and drive the three hours-plus back home!


Kerry
Preppygrams

1 comment:

  1. Kerry,
    As a home office worker I'm constantly being distracted by all kinds of Internet "communications" and try not to get to involved and normally will hit the delete button within seconds of opening the latest and greatest posting. Anne forwarded me your blog and I was instantly intrigued to see how the stories ended. You certainly have a knack for story telling and what looks to be a fun business. It seems that you have managed to turn your passion for theater and acting into a money making enterprise and that's something not many people can do. They say laughter is good for the heart, so I guess you are making a contribution to the health of your customers. Maybe that's something you can bill Medicare for? Good luck and continued success.
    Regards, Bruce

    ReplyDelete