Sunday, February 20, 2011

'Gram of the Week (1/31/11 - 2/6/11)

(ONE of the reasons why I get a little anxious when they order a policeman singing telegram.)

The girls were all gathering in Pompton Plains, NJ to celebrate the 40th Birthday of one of their own. "She's a police dispatcher," they told me. "It would be perfect for her."

What they neglected to tell me was that her husband was the Chief of Police in a nearby town.

Originally, they had preferred I arrive toward the earlier part of the evening. But a very busy Friday and their calling last-minute dictated it be done at the end of their evening, around dessert.

It's late. I troll up and down the block slowly, trying to find the house number because many residents already had their lights off for the evening. I finally pull up in front of the house at 11:00 PM . At that point, I'm vaguely aware of another car pulling up directly behind me. I do my last-minute review of the song, put on my cop "costume" , and step out of the car.

Immediately, the police lights on top of the car behind me, go on.

Generally, I'm a pretty fearless guy, but I came damn close to needing a change of clothes!

"Is there a problem, officer?", the voice from the car respectfully bellowed. My intuition told me that he saw me as a friend, not as a foe. Despite that, I still couldn't help the knees knocking.

"No, I'm doing a singing telegram for someone inside that house," I replied.

"What!" (I could sense the incredulity of his response)

"Yeah, I'm doing a singing telegram for this woman who's a police dispatcher or something."

"That's my wife!" Suddenly, I could feel the breaking bonds of brotherhood trust disintegrating before my eyes. He thought I was a stripper (it was too dark to get a good look at me!)

"No, no, I'm serious. It's just a singing telegram. Come in with me, I'll show you."

He declined and waited outside for me to finish. I'll bet he timed me,, too! I didn't want to linger too long inside for fear he would think I was pulling something over on him.

Fastest telegram I ever delivered!


Kerry
Preppygrams

No comments:

Post a Comment