Monday, September 5, 2011

'Gram of the Week (6/27/1 - 7/3/11)

A VISIT FROM SISTER MARY ELEPHANT!

(Who wants to work after coming back from a glorious week in Rome?....well, I guess I do if I have to pay for the trip!)

James is a former high school acting student of mine. I used to direct him in his High School musicals. He went on to major in music at Wesleyan University in Connecticut. His focus is Prog Rock and his band is Edensong (heavy influence of Dream Theater, as well as Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull.)

He brought me in to play keyboards/piano on their first CD, entitled The Fruit Fallen. They love to play funky time signatures (17/8, 23/8....which drove me absolutely crazy). The drummer would always say to me, "Don't try to count it, just feel it!" (He was right).

I used to make fun of myself in the group, calling myself "Grandpa", but they were very accepting and preferred to call me the "saucy Uncle!"

Anyway, James is getting married in August to a girl he met up at Wesleyan. His Bachelor Party was held in a music studio in NYC. His buddies surprised him by flying in the original vocalist from Dream Theater, who now resides in San Diego, to hang out and jam with James. They had me come dressed as a nun and I sang the song to the tune of "How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria", from The Sound of Music.

I considered it a privilege to catch him mouth agape and speechless!

(sung to the tune of "How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria")

No argument here, you are Sarah's Adonis
The very thought of you evokes a smile
Progressive Rock's your thing, can't stand Alanis
We cannot ignore
Dream Theater is more your style
We'll find you making soup two in the morning
Studio engineer's your rightful place
It drives you nuts, no bull
To have your back hair pulled
But "I am not a boundary in this case"
My friends, this wedding soon will be upon us
It's married life that you will soon embrace!




Kerry

No comments:

Post a Comment