Friday, September 2, 2011

'Gram of the Week (6/6/11 - 6/12/11)

I GAVE HIM A SONG HE COULDN'T REFUSE!

Gail is fast becoming a good friend and a great customer. She is a real estate broker out east on Long Island. And I'll bet she's a good one; she's fast on her feet, quick with her tongue, and sees an opportunity in every situation. She's funny and sharp.

It's Joe's Birthday. Joe is about as Italian as they come. Actually born and raised on Mulberry Street in New York's Little Italy. Gail wanted to surprise her boyfriend with one of my Godfather/Sopranos/Goodfellas singing telegrams at Mario's in East Setauket.

The creation of my Godfather character is loosely based on a man to whom I delivered many years ago, who worked for..........well, let's just say I was told he was a "knock-around kind of guy". I made the mistake of asking exactly what that meant, only to be told (after a long pause), "He beats up people for a living"

.......OKAY!

Anyway, his name was "Beansy". All these guys have nicknames. Half the fun is trying to figure out why they're given their nickname. I didn't figure it out until I met him. He talked like he had beans in his mouth! I loved the name, so when it came time to choose a name for this Soprano-style messenger, it was a no-brainer; "Beansy was born!

Back to Joe -- he was celebrating at Mario's with his two grown sons and his girlfriend, Gail. My job is to kind of surprise him at the table in the middle of dinner. I walk by the table, pretend to do a double-take, and then say, "Joe? Is that you, Joe? It's me, "Beansy" from Mulberry Street."

Unbeknownst to me (and apparently his girlfriend), Joe grew up with a "Beansy" from Mulberry Street. He gives me a classic "WTF?" look. I already knew, by the information Gail had provided, that Joe had a quick, hot temper. Truly, I thought he was going to shoot me right then and there. So I did the one thing I do really well....I broke into song. Joe's stuck with his soup spoon halfway between the bowl and his mouth, trying to process what's going on......and then the tears start flowing down his cheeks. He's crying, he's laughing, he's NOT shooting.....

He wouldn't let me leave. Joe insisted I sit at the table to have a glass of wine with him. I've got a friend for life. If I ever need anything, I just call Joe.

Kerry










No comments:

Post a Comment