Monday, August 15, 2011

'Gram of the Week (4/18/11 - 4/24/11)

Ethel turned 95 this week. I have sung to Ethel on two other occasions. Her daughter called me from Anchorage, Alaska to tell me that this will probably be her Mom's last Birthday. She's confined to a wheelchair and residing at a nursing home on Long Island.

Seeing as how I've already exhausted all there is to say about Ethel in the two previous personalized songs, the family just wanted me to come in and sing songs from her era, the 1930's - 1940's.

I happily obliged and hit the internet to find a handful of songs that I could sing. The family told me not to worry about being specific, because Mom probably wouldn't notice anyway, but I was compelled; it's the least I could do.

I chose five songs to sing: "Zing! Went The Strings Of My Heart", "Night and Day", "For Me And My Gal", "Oh What A Beautiful Morning", and "When You Wish Upon A Star".

Well, cut off my legs and call me Shorty! Ethel not only remembered me, but she sang right along with me...EVERY song...... and she knew EVERY lyric. Her family, who had gathered 'round, could only stand with their mouths agape.

They might want to put in an early reservation for next April, when Ethel turns 96!

Kerry

No comments:

Post a Comment