Saturday, January 5, 2013

'Gram of the Week (11/21/11 - 11/27/11)


IT’S A JOLLY HOLIDAY WITH…VANESSA !

It’s the perfect tune to use for just about the perfect woman. Vanessa turned 40 this week and her husband, Alex, flew her up from Florida to celebrate with family and friends. In the interest of full disclosure here, I know Vanessa and she’s as sweet as they come. So when Alex called me, I was ready to do whatever needed to be done to ensure this would be perfect.

For me, finding a special tune for a special delivery is very important. It helps to define the person and the event. Sure, I use some “old standards,” but every once in a while, a singing telegram that I’m writing will just scream that it has to be written to a specific song. And that urge just won’t quit until I’ve chosen it and written the lyric to fit the tune.

All I could think about when Alex was providing the information, was Mary Poppins’ “It’s a Jolly Holiday With Mary” that Dick Van Dyke sings to her when they’re in the animated park with the dancing penguins.

I arrive at Meehan’s of Huntington down in Huntington Village, dressed as a big red heart, which allowed me to point out to everyone there that I had a “big heart on for Vanessa!”

(sung to “It’s a Jolly Holiday With Mary”)

(verse) Your Great-Granddad was quite a guy
He gave you some money to buy
A bathing suit, I guess
That bikini, you recall
Was very small
He said, “Where’s the rest?”

(chorus) He’d also ask you to stop sunbathing
From the roof, I understand
Because it was scandalous and scathing
You were causing traffic jams

A C.O.O. and C.F.O. accountant
You’d think she is a gal whom you could trust
On a wine-tasting trip, she
Was so tipsy
She stole a lot of wine accessories!

She leaves the fridge open when she’s cooking
No wonder it’s Vanessa whom we love!
 
Kerry

No comments:

Post a Comment